October 9, 1862: Deer Creek
[Today] we came on to Deer Creek, Lassen’s old ranch, originally owned by the man whose name is given to Lassen’s Peak. He was murdered about two years ago by the Indians1. We got into camp about noon, and in the afternoon went back to the canyon of Deer Creek.
All the way from Red Bluff the plain on the east side of the river is from five to eight miles wide. Then the volcanic hills begin—all the streams emerge from these by deep canyons. Deer Creek runs in such a canyon for over a hundred miles, often for long distances impassable. We found no fossils, for the lava was not cut through. At the mouth of the canyon we found a cabin in which lived a white man and a squaw, but we saw no other Indians. We were back to camp by dark.
1Or, perhaps, by one of his traveling companions.